Friday, February 4, 2011

Ed Steckly

The suffering has ended.  You're not in pain anymore.  You're fishing with your brother and brother in law and eating all the cheezies you want. When it's raining I know it's you and the fish fighting over where the fish gets to go, knowing full well that eventually it will end up in your stomach.  Maybe sauteed in a little butter. 

As I sit here writing this to you, knowing that in just three days we'll be seeing you sleeping peacefully for the first time in a long long time, I think back to all the memories you have given me.  From the visits to you in the house out on the highway, when you would give me extra treats that mom and dad said no to,  Or the nights we had to stay over and we sat quietly watching the news to the fishing trips out on the lake in the boat. 

As a young girl of 12 when mom and dad split, you stepped in and tried to keep things alright and semi normal for David and I.  Taking us out on the boat in the summer at the lake.  Letting us visit with you as much as we could. Taking a special interest in us, two of your grandchildren who didn't have their father at that moment.

You've always been such a strong man.  The strongest man I've ever known.  Stronger than even my own father.  You were the matriarch of the family, holding us all together. 

I didn't want to let you go.  I know I wasn't to the Nursing home to see you very much but I was like mom, an emotional wreck, and it was hard to see you deteriorating the way you were with every passing moment.  I wanted to remember the strong man that once you were, that would load and unload the boat with your two grandchildren onboard.  You did that all on your own.  The one who helped David break into a trailer when neighbours locked their keys in their trailer.  


When the call came that everyone was called back to the nursing home I could only think of getting to your side.  I couldn't touch you at first.  But I did hug and kiss you before I left.  When I found out I asked the baby I lost to come and help you find your way.  I know now that you will watch over him and teach him the things I couldn't, the things you taught me, I think about the fishing trips that you and your brother and brother in law will take with my baby Lucas.  I know he's in wonderful hands and that none of you are suffering anymore.  


I will see you when this life for me is over.  I love you Grandpa and will miss you.  I'm glad to have had you for pictures for my wedding, and that you got to see my son.  I know you're watching over us all now and will be shaking your head at some of the things you do.  I know you weren't strict so much as you were trying to protect us all.  


Love you forever and always.

2 comments:

  1. Carrie, that was a beautiful tribute. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know how I managed to actually get the fingers to work. Or how I managed to see to write it.

    ReplyDelete